When patients participate in everyday oral health habits such as brushing and flossing, they will benefit from a beautiful, healthy smile for life. Prevention of certain conditions is critical to a healthy smile, as some conditions cause irreversible damage. This includes periodontal disease and cavities. Periodontal disease, also referred to as gum disease, is a condition that can negatively impact one’s oral health as it is an infection that can spread throughout the body. Bacteria grows on the gum tissues and spreads throughout the mouth, while also being released into the bloodstream and to other areas of the body. Additionally, there is no cure for periodontal disease, so preventing the condition from occurring in the first place is a smart step in protecting the smile.
How to keep the gums healthy
To avoid the development of periodontal disease, it is critical that patients take good care of the smile. There are several recommendations that the team at Schmitt Dental may suggest when patients visit the practice. They include:
- Brushing the teeth immediately after meals with a fluoride toothpaste and soft-bristled brush, brushing for at least two minutes.
- Flossing the teeth between meals to remove food particles, or at least once a day to clean between the teeth.
- Reducing or eliminating acidic and sugary food and beverages from one’s diet.
- Avoiding tobacco use, whether it be chewing tobacco or smoking cigarettes, as they are also harmful for the body and not just the mouth.
- Reducing or eliminating alcohol consumption.
- Visiting the dentist every six months as recommended by the ADA (American Dental Association) for routine cleanings and evaluations to monitor for the development of periodontal disease and other conditions.
- Calling the dentist as soon as problems arise, such as bleeding of the gums when brushing, soreness and redness of the gum tissues, and the development of toothaches.
By taking these steps, most patients will have the ability to keep their smile free from periodontal disease and enjoy healthy, beautiful smiles for life!
Call Schmitt Dental today
With three locations throughout Tennessee, patients can work with a dentist who is ready to help patients achieve healthy smiles!