Dental bonding is an aesthetic dental procedure that uses a tooth-colored resin material to bond or “fill” gaps between teeth. The resin is perfectly matched to the color of your natural teeth, so it looks like a seamless part of your smile. At Schmitt Dental, we find that many Clarksville and Brentwood, TN area patients love the idea of improving the appearance of the smile in a fast and straightforward appointment at the office.
How is dental bonding used?
Dental bonding can be used to:
- Close gaps between teeth
- Repair chipped or cracked teeth
- Make teeth look longer
- Change the shape of teeth
- Improve the appearance of stained, discolored teeth
What should I expect during my composite resin bonding appointment?
Dental bonding is typically done in one office visit. The procedure is quick and painless, and you can see the results immediately. Below are the steps needed to complete the process:
- Matching. First, your dentist selects a shade of resin that matches your natural tooth color.
- Preparation. Then the dentist roughens the surface of your tooth so the resin can bond to it.
- Application. After the tooth is prepared, the dentist applies the resin to your tooth and shape it into place.
- Curing. Finally, the dentist hardens the resin with a UV light.
- Adjustments. Once the resin is hardened, your dentist makes any final adjustments to ensure a natural-looking and comfortable fit.
How long does dental bonding last?
Dental bonding is a durable, long-lasting treatment option, but it is not permanent. The lifespan of your dental bonding depends on how well you take care of your teeth and gums. Good oral hygiene habits and routine dental visits are essential for maintaining the bond between your tooth and the resin. Additionally, avoid biting your nails, eating hard foods, and chewing on ice, as this can damage the bond. With proper care, your dental bonding treatment can last for several years.
Schedule a visit with Schmitt Dental
If you are considering dental bonding to improve the appearance of your smile, contact our office today to schedule a consultation with our experienced cosmetic dentist. We have three convenient locations in the areas of Brentwood and Clarksville, TN.